Pages

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Frosty Jar Cozy

I'm eating my first clementine of the season right now and it delicious. What does this means? It means that the holiday season has officially started! It also means I can listen to Christmas music all day long on Star 92,9 and I'm already using their web player a lot. My mom and I used to listen to it in the car when she picked me up at school or when we went Christmas shopping. When I was in college, I picked-up the "tradition". At the end of fall semesters I would turn on the web player on my computer while working on my final projects. The Christmas songs really help me get through the long hours sitting in front the screen. It reminded me that the holidays were coming fast and I would see my family soon. Some people say November is too early for Christmas music, but as I don't seem to ever get tired of it, why not start right now?  Plus, when you're a crafty person, Christmas preparation starts early.  

If you're like me, you might be planning on making some of your christmas gifts yourself this year. If so, you will like what I have for you today. This week, I've been working on a new pattern for a mason jar cozy. I say new because I made a couple of these over the past years. I used them a lot in school because I used to carry teas in mason jar. In fact, I'm totally in love with mason jars. They really are the safest way I know to carry soups, stews and drinks (hot or cold) in a back pack! And they are so pretty <3. So, if you like to drink tea or coffee from a jar you, should make one for yourself.  It insulate the jar, making it way more comfortable to hold and it also keep your drink hot (or cold, if it's an iced drink) for longer. 

Frosty Jar Cozy

An other use for this cozy, as my friend Chloé mentioned to me, would be a gift wrapping. Let says you made jam this summer, you could cover your jar with an assorted cozy and offer it as a hostess gift. And if you don't have jam jars, you could put tea bags or some hot cocoa mix in the jar and cover it with a red and white cozy to fit the Christmas decor! Anyway, I'm sure you can think of many other possibilities of filling for the jar and colours for the cozy. So here is the pattern for a plain version of the jar cozy:

Material: 35 yards of medium weight yarn (I used Bernat satin)
               US 6 double pointed needls (or cable needles if using magic loop)
               3,5 crochet hook
               An assorted botton

Instructions:  The cozy will fit a 500 ml standard-mouth mason jar. 

CO 40 sts

Row 1: Purl all sts. (40 sts)
Row 2: Knit all sts. (40 sts)
Row 3: Purl all sts. (40 sts)
Row 4: Knit all sts. (40 sts)
Row 5: Purl all sts. (40 sts)
Row 6: *k1, kfb, k6, kfb, k1* repeat from*to* until the end of row (48 sts)
Row 7: Join. Knit all sts. (48 sts)
Row 8: *k1, kfb, k8, kfb, k1* repeat from*to* until the end of row (56 sts)
Row 9: Knit all sts. (56 sts)
Row 10: *k1, kfb, k10, kfb, k1* repeat from*to* until the end of row (64 sts)
Rows 11 to 25: Knit all sts. (64 sts)
Row 26: *k1, k2tog, k10, k2tog, k1* repeat from*to* until the end of row (56 sts)
Row 27: Knit all sts. (56 sts)
Row 28: *k1, k2tog, k8, k2tog, k1* repeat from*to* until the end of row (48 sts)
Row 29: Knit all sts. (48 sts)
Row 30: *k1, k2tog, k6, k2tog, k1* repeat from*to* until the end of row (40 sts)
Row 31: Knit all sts. (40 sts)
Row 32: *k1, k2tog, k4, k2tog, k1* repeat from*to* until the end of row (32 sts)
Row 33: Knit all sts. (32 sts)
Row 34: *k1, k2tog, k2, k2tog, k1* repeat from*to* until the end of row (24 sts)
Row 35: Knit all sts. (24 sts)
Row 36: *k1, k2tog* repeat from*to* until the end of row (16 sts)
Row 35: Knit all sts. (16 sts)
Row 36: * k2tog* repeat from*to* until the end of row (8 sts)
 
Cut yarn and thread it through remaining stitches. Pull tight and close the opening. Weave in ends.

Finishing: Sew a button near the opening pf the cozy. Using a strand of yarn and the crochet hook( starting at the corner of the opening, on the opposite side of the button) chain enough stitches to fit the size of your button and close the loop with a slip stitch. 

From that, you can make plain jar cozies or you can create your own pattern using different colors. If you'd like to get the frosty jar cozy design, it's in my ravelry shop right here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/frosty-jar-cozy


Pssst, you can now follow me on Facebook :)  www.facebook.com/sweetteasoftskeins

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment