Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2016

6 Foods to can this Fall


All around me, I hear people say: No, not yet, not the end of summer already! But I, I don't mind because fall is my favorite season. Fresher days are perfect for cooking with open windows. Taking a long walk without toasting in the sun is nice too. The cool wind and the shorter days also bring back my knitting obsession! But that's not what I want to talk about today. Today, I want to show you my list of "must can" this coming season. Fall is, most of all, bounty season! So, it's time to use all those delicious and colorful fruits and vegetables. Put them in jars to preserve them for the months to come.


I based my list on my personal tastes but also on what I find to be a "good deal". I select canning recipes that contains mostly local and seasonal produces (remember, I live in eastern Canada). Also, it must be something I know we like to eat and that will be used within the next year. When canning, I find it important to choose ingredients and meals you know you eat regularly. Wasting home canned goods is not only wasting good food, it's also wasting your time and efforts!

So here it is, my list of 6 must can of the season!



Tomatoes

Diced, crushed, pureed or cooked in marinara sauce, tomatoes are just so versatile. I use them in homemade spaghetti sauce, casseroles and soups all the time. Canning tomatoes yourself means you can choose the type of tomatoes you prefer. Think italian tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, organic tomatoes, cherry tomatoes etc.



Vegetables in water

Just like the ones from the grocery store but better! Why better? Because they're made from vegetables that you choose yourself (local, organic or from your own garden!). Again, you choose, beets, carrots, beans, peas, potatoes etc. You even get to choose the color and the cut. Why not try yellow beets for a change or mix green and yellow beans in the same jar.

You ABSOLUTELY need a pressure canner to safely preserve these.



Fruits in syrup

Stone fruits come to mind first: Peaches, plums, apricots, pears and cherries. But berries can be preserved in syrup too. Strawberries, blueberries, gooseberries, even grapes and currants. I sometimes make jams, but I prefer fruits in syrup. The product is pretty (nice gift idea here!) and it's so good on sponge cake, pancakes, greek yogurt or oatmeal! For a little variety, try flavoring your syrup with a vanilla bean, a cinnamon stick or a citrus peel.



Applesauce

Apples are a staple of Quebec's fall. We grow many varieties. Some are sweet, others are tart. Some are better for cooking, others are at their best when eaten raw, but they're all delicious in their own way. I can applesauce in 500ml and 250ml jars to eat as a snack or to use in recipes (baking mostly). I can it plain, but you could add spices and sugar. Actually, adding two tablespoons of sugar per litre of product will extend it's life in the fridge once the jar is open.



Cubed winter squash

This one, I haven't tried yet. In the fall, I always go to the farmer's market and buy many winter squashes. I just love to see them so I decorate my apartment with them! When winter comes in, I end up with a ton of ziplock bags of pureed squash in my freezer. I do use them in soups and quick bread, but they take up space I would rather use for raw meat, seafood or bagels and bread. That's why I want to try canning cubed squash in water with my pressure canner and see if it makes good pie!



French onion soup

In fact, I want to try many kinds of soup in the pressure canner, but this one comes first! We love onion soup around here and onions are so cheap in the fall, I must give it a try. I want to try this recipe. I know, it's in french haha! If I like the result, I plan on sharing a translate version with you. This site is such a great resource. I've learned so much on pressure and water bath canning from this blogger, I wish everyone could read it!


There you have it, my priority list of foods to can this coming season. Have you tried any new canning recipe lately? What do you plan on canning this fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment